176

London. 2007

  • Project Details
  • Completion: 2007
  • Cost: £1.6 Million
  • Clients: Zabludowicz Art Trust

A curatorial attitude to ‘building as backdrop’ led to a light-touch refurbishment approach that reveals the layered fabric of a found building. A former chapel – a rotting mess when we started work on it – has been stripped back to uncover columns, doors and fireplaces and to free spaces from earlier institutional subdivisions. Selected traces of all former occupants – both official and other – have been left to give curators and insitu artists something real to react to. Originally built as the Central Methodist Chapel in 1867, later used as the North London Drama Centre and later still abused by squatters for nearly a decade, the building is now an experimental exhibition space for the Zabludowicz Collection in London’s Chalk Farm.

Architect: Allford Hall Monaghan Morris


Client:  Zabludowicz Art Trust


Project Managers, Quantity Surveyor& Planning Supervisor: Jackson Coles 


Soul Agent: Pilcher Hershman


Structural Engineer: Michael Hadi Associates Ltd


Services Engineer: Michael popper Associates


Employer’s Agent: Tamares Real Estate Investments


Accessibility Consultant & Approved Inspector: BRCS (Building Control) Ltd


Main Contractor: William Verry Ltd


Sub-Contractors: PAYE Stonework & Restoration; Gomac Ltd (Metalwork); Avdon Ltd (Glass/Aluminium portal lobbies); Fiske Interiors Ltd (Reception & Servery)


Suppliers: Vitsoe (Storage system); Erco/Concord: Marlin/ Continental (Lighting); Forbo (flooring); Armitage Shanks (Sanitary ware)
 


return to top